EUROQOL | Governance
The EuroQol Research Foundation (“Foundation”) and the EuroQol Group Association (“EuroQol Group”) are the two arms of the EuroQol organization. The Foundation exists to serve the public interest by supporting, instigating and performing scientific research. The EuroQol Group is comprised of an international network of multidisciplinary researchers. Currently, the EuroQol Group has more than 90 members.
The EuroQol Research Foundation’s Board is tasked with overseeing the daily operations of the Foundation. The Board deals with financial and legal affairs, sponsors and their contracts, and is the employer of the staff in the EuroQol Office, including the Executive Director Bernhard Slaap. Members of the Board are elected by the Executive Committee of the EuroQol Group Association.
The EuroQol Group Association’s Executive Committee can be thought of as the principal ‘scientific committee’ of the EuroQol Group. The Executive Committee comprises nine members, who are elected by the members of the EuroQol Group. On a day-to-day basis, the Executive Committee:
- Takes authority from the membership as the highest-level decision-making body within the EuroQol Group
- Is responsible for leading the scientific direction of the EuroQol Group, and contributing to the overall strategic direction
- Coordinates research, development, and outreach activities
- Approves funding, monitors, manages and has general oversight of research commissioned by the EuroQol Group
- Makes membership-related decisions
- Establishes and monitors working groups
- Is responsible for ensuring the quality of EuroQol Group products
- Appoints scientific co-chairs, organises annual Scientific Plenary meeting
- Sets out the educational programme for the bi-annual Academy meeting
- Appoints the Board
- Develops and implements strategic plans in accordance with the Board