EUROQOL | Governance
The EuroQol Research Foundation (“Foundation”) and the EuroQol Group Association (“EuroQol Group”) are the two arms of the EuroQol organization. The Foundation exists to serve the public interest by supporting, instigating and performing scientific research. The EuroQol Group is comprised of an international network of multidisciplinary researchers. Currently, the EuroQol Group has more than 90 members.
The Board of the EuroQol Research Foundation has a responsibility for:
- Strategic thinking about the Foundation’s activities, and in particular ensuring the long-term sustainability of the Foundation;
- Ensuring that the overall activities of the Foundation satisfy the requirements of the Foundation’s designation as a Public Benefit Organisation (Dutch: Algemeen Nut Beogende Instelling, ANBI). i.e., at least 90% of the efforts of the Foundation are to be focused on the Public Benefit, consistent with the Foundation’s stated mission/vision.
- Ensuring the effective and efficient management of all aspects of the Foundation’s operations, including governance of the intellectual property rights that include, but are not limited to, EQ-5D. The Board is the employer of the staff in the EuroQol office, including the Executive Director.
The EuroQol Group Association’s Executive Committee can be thought of as the principal ‘scientific committee’ of the EuroQol Group. The Executive Committee comprises nine members, who are elected by the members of the EuroQol Group. On a day-to-day basis, the Executive Committee:
- Takes authority from the membership as the highest-level decision-making body within the EuroQol Group
- Is responsible for leading the scientific direction of the EuroQol Group, and contributing to the overall strategic direction
- Coordinates research, development, and outreach activities
- Approves funding, monitors, manages and has general oversight of research commissioned by the EuroQol Group
- Makes membership-related decisions
- Establishes and monitors working groups
- Is responsible for ensuring the quality of EuroQol Group products
- Appoints scientific co-chairs, organises annual Scientific Plenary meeting
- Sets out the educational programme for the annual Academy meeting
- Appoints the Board
- Develops and implements strategic plans in accordance with the Board