Intellectual property (IP) protection
The EuroQol Research Foundation (hereinafter: “Foundation”) manages the intellectual property rights of all instruments owned by the EuroQol Group Association (hereinafter: “EuroQol Group”). The Foundation is thus entitled to distribute and commercialize these instruments, including, but not limited to, the family of EQ-5D and EQ-HWB instruments. This includes negotiating license agreements. Therefore, as part of the Foundation the EuroQol Office (hereinafter: “EQ Office”) is entitled to protect the IP rights of EuroQol instruments.
- EuroQol instruments are instruments developed or co-developed by the EuroQol Group, of which the IP Rights are held by the EuroQol Group, and which are managed by the Foundation.
- EQ-5D is a family of standardized measures of health-related quality of life developed by the EuroQol Group to provide simple, generic questionnaires for use in clinical and economic appraisal or population health status surveys. EQ-5D is available in several versions, including EQ-5D-3L, EQ-5D-5L, and EQ-5D-Y.
- EQ-HWB is a family of standardized instruments measuring aspects of both health outcomes and well-being. The instrument is currently under development by the EuroQol Group. Initial work was done by a team at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) at the University of Sheffield, in collaboration with researchers from the EuroQol Group. All IP Rights in EQ-HWB were transferred to the Foundation.
- Legal Team of the EQ Office is the team responsible for handling requests for use of EuroQol instruments. Furthermore, the Legal Team manages licenses and performs legal research on behalf of the EQ Office. This team consists of a Legal Team Leader, Legal Counsels and a User Support Officer.
- Intellectual Property Rights (hereinafter: “IP Rights”) means copyrights, neighboring rights, patents, design rights, trademarks, service marks, database rights, know-how, trade or business names, rights in confidential information and all other intellectual property rights and rights of a similar nature, whether registered or unregistered and wherever in the world such rights arise. The Intellectual Property Rights include the aforementioned rights regarding or in connection with EuroQol instruments (any version) and the brand names of EuroQol instruments (any version). The IP Rights do not include data collected with EuroQol instruments, nor value sets estimated for EuroQol instruments.
Prior written consent from the EQ Office is required to use, test, reproduce, alter, amend, convert, transfer, translate, publish, or otherwise make EuroQol instruments available, regardless of mode of administration (self-complete, interview, etc.), language, or form (digital, hard-copy, etc.).
The Foundation is the single point of distribution of EuroQol instruments.
Written permission / license agreement
For the use of EuroQol instruments, an online registration is required at the Foundation’s website. Written permission will be provided, or a license agreement will be arranged, in accordance with the applicable User License Policy.
The Foundation’s permission and licenses are only provided for use of EuroQol instruments to the parties explicitly accepting the provisions of the applicable documentation, wherein the scope is indicated as well.
Reproduction of EuroQol instruments in a publication or on a website
The IP protection policy is based on five categories described below:
Based on this categorisation, our IP protection policy specifies who can access an instrument and on what conditions. A description of the categories and an overview of EuroQol instruments by category is provided.
Last update: Jan 9, 2024